Saturday, March 21, 2009

Bed rest for Bekah and baby boy #2

If you don't want to nitty gritty details, skip the first paragraph. This is from an e-mail I sent to a couple of my dearest friends. Forgive me, but I don't think I'm up to retyping everything again.

I had a little bit of bleeding Monday night and a little more Tuesday afternoon, but nothing major. Then I bled some during the night Wednesday night and into Thursday morning. So, I called and asked to be seen. Before they called me back, a small clot passed and so I sent my morning class home and drove myself straight to the doctor. They saw me right away. The heartbeat was still beautiful, but to check things out, I was sent for an ultrasound. The baby measured right where he should and looked great. The placenta is in a good location, but they saw some extra tissue at the top of my cervix. This, of course, meant I was going to have to follow up with an OB rather than my GP or PA. Then, late last night, I started passing some of the tissue. I was up every two hours. I kept three samples from three different times and called my PA first thing this morning (on her cell). She asked me to come in right away at 8:30 which would work out to be right on our way to Southern California. My parents picked us up and we headed out. The PA listened to the baby's HB which was still good, but she was very concerned about the samples I brought in and wanted to talk to the OB before she let me leave. They determined together that I was not to travel and sent me home to go to bed. By the time I got home, she'd talked to the perinatologist and bedrest was confirmed which takes me off of work. Right now the baby seems just fine but there is definitely something going on and they want to take extra care in finding out what is happening (and why). I'm not far enough along for them to stop things if I go into labor and I'm barely at 20 weeks, so obviously things would likely not go well.

So, for those who skipped the first paragraph...I had some issues again this week. I had an ultrasound on Thursday and the baby looks good and is measuring right where he should be, but they noticed some extra tissue and that was cause for concern. It seems to be something with me, not the baby, but they want to be sure there is no risk to the baby. I should have an appointment with a perinatologist this upcoming week and we'll go from there. In the meantime, I am on bedrest. And so, I am home. I am off of work at least for a few days and I am doing everything I can to take things as easy as I can. Thank goodness for my laptop.

My mother-in-law is staying with us for a couple of days and is helping with some things around the house. Connor is enjoying it. He's handling my having to take things easy as best as cna be expected and every so often will climb up to sit by me. Last night he laid down with me in my bed for a little while. I am alternating between the bed and the couch so at least the scenery changes periodically. I also went out on to the chaise-lounge for a little while yesterday and soaked up some of the sunshine. The weather is changing this weekend, so it's going to be cooler and rain is on its way. I'm glad I got the sun while I could. We're headed into layout week, so I guess I'll be writing my stories from the bed and/or couch.

I am going to do as I have been told (resting) and I am going to pray a lot. I also started the new book my mom gave me for my birthday "Get Off Your Knees and Pray" by Sheila Walsh. I think I will also look at a couple of the devotional type books she gave to me as well and maybe even put a lesson together to do with the Daughters of the King sometime in the future. I will fine tune my lessons for my classes for the week so the substitutes have everything they need. I'm going to put the finishing touches on our tax stuff and just try to use this "down time" and be as productive as possible at home while resting. I'll just do a little at a time. I will also update after my appointment with the perinatologist, as soon as that occurs.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment